MK TOURS AND TRAVEL SAFARIS UGANDA

-

"Your lifetime experience of East African Safaris starts and ends with us"

Kibale National Park

Take the road from Fort Portal to Kamwenge, which commences near the bridge over the Mpanga River in Fort Portal and is well sign posted.

 Turn left at the junction 12-km from Fort Portal and follow signpost for a further 24 km to Kanyanchu Tourist Centre.

 Kibale National Park harbours the greatest variety and concentration of primates found anywhere in East Africa. It is an extensive National Park, protecting a large block of rainforest that offers some excellent forest for bird watching. Birds and primates combined with easy access, a good infrastructure and a variety of interesting Activities make this forest ideal for primate watching safaris to Uganda . Many of the facilities are community based, thus providing the local community with the necessary revenue to keep their interest focused on the long-term protection of the area.

 The area is mainly occupied by two tribes i.e. Batooro and Bakiga traditionally both tribes utilise the forest for food, fuel, building materials and medicines.


MATTERS CONCERNING KIBAALE NATIONAL PARK.
District: Kabarole.
Elevation : 1110 metres to 1590 metres
Timing: March - May, September - November
Time required: 2 days
Status: National Park since 1993
Size: 560 km 2
The forested section (77%) of the park is covered by medium altitude moist evergreen forest in the north and medium altitude moist semi-deciduous forest at lower altitudes in the south. The remaining 23% consist of grassland, swamps and some plantations with exotic conifers.
Birds Recorded: 335 species.

Key Species of Birds

Grey-winged Robin, Red-winged Francolin, White-naped Pigeon, Green-brested Pitta, Red-chested Flufftail, African Pitta, Joyful Greenbul, Abyssinian Ground Thrush, Grey-throated Flycatcher, White-bellied Crested Flycather, Masked and Black-capped Apalises, Uganda Woodland Warbler, Chestnut-winged Starling, Orange-tufted and Tiny Sunbirds, Grey-headed Olive-back.

OTHER WILDLIFE
Kibale has a customary Chimpanzee-tracking program with a high success rate. Other primates that may be found on these guided walks include Grey-cheeked Mangabey, Guereza Colobus, L'Hoest's Gentle (Blue) Olive Baboon, and Red-tailed Monkeys is more likely to be found in open areas adjacent to the forest. You may find evidence of Elephant, Bush Pig and Bufallo along the trails, whilst Bushbuck, Blue, Harvey's and Peter's Duickers are other shy inhabitants of the forest interior. The guided night walks are also rewarding: Potto, Spectacled Demidoff's and Thomas's Galagos, Lord Derby's Anomalure, African Civet and Common Genet are all possible.

Other interesting mammals from the list of over 60 species include Banded and Marsh Mongooses, Ichneumon, , Swamp Otter, Alexander's Cusimanse,Ratel (Honey Badger) and African Palm Civet. Although Golden Cat, Serval, Lion, Leopard, Warthog, Giant Hog and Hippopotamus are recorded from the park, they are unlikely to be encountered in the Kanyanchu area. Sitatungas are known from Bigodi Swamp but are infrequently seen. The spectacular and beautiful Rhinoceros Viper is fairly common here but is, unfortunately, less often found alive than as a road-kill.

Recommended Tour Packages

9 Days - Uganda Big Game Safaris

Day 1: Kampala - Murchison FallsBeginning with a panoramic drive northwest through the famous Luwero Triangle and Masindi Town, Stop over at Masindi hotel for lunch.

13 Days - Uganda and Rwanda Primate Safaris

DAY 1 Murchison Falls National, Uganda Beginning with a vista drive Northwest through the famous Luwero Triangle and Masindi Town, Stop over at Masindi then proceed to Murchison via Budongo forest, The Western Arm of the East African Rift valley and Lake Albert.

3 Days - Murchison Falls Safaris

Trip highlights: Murchison Falls - 3 days Safari to Murchison Falls National Park, Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, a boat trip and game drives

7 Days - Exclusive Gorilla Safaris

This tour starts from Kampala/ Entebbe, visiting the mountain gorillas in Uganda, Rwanda, or Congo and game viewing in Queen Elizabeth National Park. Top or local hotels and lodges are used throughout, and transport is by customized 4x4 vehicles.

Background Image

Header Color

:

Content Color

: